Windows 8 And 8.1 Compatability

General Help Questions and Answers

Moderators: L|B, cryoa, Riamus, XMog

Windows 8 And 8.1 Compatability

Postby KlasicKumputerz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:44 pm

I have been using Invision since it first came out. And I've been using mIRC since it first came out. I installed both on Windows 8.1. They installed fun with no issues. I installed all to C:\ like it's all supposed to be. I open mIRC and Invision is not starting with it. Thinking it was because I installed mIRC 7.41. So I reverted back to version 7.38 which I know is compatible with Invision. I still got the same issue of Invision not starting with mIRC. So now my thinking is that Invision is not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1. Is this the case?
KlasicKumputerz

Re: Windows 8 And 8.1 Compatibility

Postby XMog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am

The latest Invision is fully compatible with Windows 8/8.1. You can use any recent version of mIRC, including mIRC 7.41. There are two things you should do.

With mIRC/Invision closed, browse to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\ and look for a "mIRC" directory. The AppData folder may be hidden by default; if so, you can either browse to it by typing it into the Address Bar, or show hidden dirs via Tools -> Folder Options, View tab. If the "mIRC" folder exists, delete it or rename it (e.g. to "mIRC-Unused").

Next, since you installed mIRC/Invision into C:\, you'll need to modify the NTFS permissions to allow Write permissions. There are two ways you can go about doing this: One option is to move the entire directory to a place where you have full write permissions by default (ex. My Documents or your Desktop). The other option is to change the permissions on the directory you have. To do that, right-click on the mIRC/Invision directory, choose Properties, "Security" tab, choose Edit, then Add, type in "Users", and click "Check Names". If all is well, it should update your text and underline it. Click on OK, then put a checkmark under Allow for "Modify." This should automatically check allow for "Write" as well. Then click OK and OK again.

Then load up your mIRC/Invision. Invision should now be fully working. If you are still having issues or have any questions, feel free to respond here, or visit us in #Invision on irc.irchighway.net. Happy IRCing!
Last edited by XMog on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fix
XMog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Windows 8 And 8.1 Compatability

Postby KlasicKumputerz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:28 pm

I tried your steps precisely. And still the same thing. It only loads regular mIRC and not Invision with it. Everything is installed like this C:\Invision and C:\Invision\mIRC.exe. All permissions are activated. I tried moving it to My Documents and Desktop. And still does the same thing.
KlasicKumputerz

Postby KlasicKumputerz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm

OK, I found the issue. I had all my security software disabled including Avast. Even so it blocked Invision from fully extracting and installing anyway. I looked at the Invision install folder and it looked like it was light and missing files. I completely deactivated Avast and re installed Invision and it installed everything. So it works now.
KlasicKumputerz

Postby XMog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:19 am

Okay, glad to hear. You can check other posts about stdio.dll to see why Avast interfered (long story short, false positive).

The good news is that the next release of Invision will no longer include/use stdio.dll, so the false-positive issue will be a thing of the past.
XMog
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kisscool » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:32 am

Thanks XMog for the workaround / fix. It happened the same thing to me today with my Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7.

The write permissions + the deletion of the mIRC folder solved it.
I will proceed with the update of Invision and mIRC now :)
Kisscool

Return to General Help