Invision Fserve woes.

Known Issues, Bugs Reports, and Work Arounds

Moderators: L|B, cryoa, Riamus, XMog

Invision Fserve woes.

Postby zippi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi all. I've used Invision to fserve for a few years. Yesterday, I tried to fire up the old fserve for the first time in a couple of years and it wasn't working correctly. Users get 'Unable to connect' message and all I see is the 'Waiting for acknowledgement...' message. Initially, I was using mIRC 6.12 with Inv 3515 and applied the 3515-A patch. I upgraded to 6.17, still no work. I did a new install of mIRC 6.14 with a fresh install of invision, same problem. It can't be a firewall issue because I even went so far as to uninstall my personal firewall, and the Windows firewall is not running, either. but still the same problem. Also, upon connecting to a server, I get '/amsg: no channel windows open' in my status window. At this point, I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?

[Edited to add .. Welp, I think I see what the problem is. I checked my IP address via ipconfig and it's completely different than the one displayed by the IRC server. Any idea how to resolve this?
zippi

Postby Riamus » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:12 am

You are using a router (probably with NAT, which is the cause of the different IP). You can manually insert your IP information into mIRC (Alt-O > Connect > Local Info) and disable the "on connect, always get" options completely. In some cases, that will help if it's because of the NAT.

Beyond that you probably also need to forward your ports. To do so, go to http://portforward.com/ and select your router/modem and then select mIRC DCC and follow the instructions.

Also, remember that routers can also have firewalls built into them besides just needing ports forwarded.
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby zippi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:04 pm

Woohoo! Manually adding my IP and disabling those 'on connect..' option worked. Thanks Riamus. Invision is, by far, the best fserve script I've ever come accross(even with the bugs), that's why I continue to use it.

[Edited to add...

Umm, I think I woohoo'd a bit too early. It worked once then reverted back to grabbing a different IP address. I will look into port forwarding.
zippi

Postby Riamus » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:38 am

You can also try changing how it grabs the IP info... try server or normal (whichever you didn't use before).
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby zippi » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Riamus, believe me when I tell you that I have tried every configuration I can think of and still, no worky. I'm starting to think maybe it's my modem. I've never had problems using DCC in IRC before, but then I don't recall ever trying to use this modem to fserve before.
zippi

Postby Riamus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 am

I'd say it is definitely the router/modem that you are using, from your description of the problem. You can try that portforward site I mentioned, or else you can just try another modem.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby zippi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Well, I have officially given up on trying to get this thing working. I am not about to re-install Windows just so that I can fserve. This is beyond irritating. Btw, never, ever seek help in the #mIRC channel on Undernet, they are useless.
zippi

Postby Riamus » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Have you tried just using Reverse DCC? It's not great, but it could help.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby zippi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:08 am

I have not tried reverse DCC. I had forgotten about that option, but seem to recall that it's a bit of a pain using that option to run an fserve. Just so I can say that I actually did try everything, how would I setup reverse DCC? Also, the weird thing is that when I first fired up the fserve, after 2 years of not using it, my fserve and DCC send worked. After I shutdown mIRC and disconnected, it didn't work from that point on.
zippi

Postby Riamus » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 am

I'm not sure why it won't work for you. Routers are a pain, sometimes.

As for Reverse DCC, go to DCC Manager > Setup and check "Global Reverse DCC Init" and pick a port. You may need to try a few different ports until you find something that works.

As for it being a pain, yes, it is. Anyone wanting to connect has to type the /dccserver line and they have to have the port you choose forwarded in any router or firewall they are using. But, if you can't make it work any other way, that's better than nothing.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby zippi » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:28 pm

zippi

Return to Bugs and Fixes