INVISION INSTALLED VIRUSES ON PC

Known Issues, Bugs Reports, and Work Arounds

Moderators: L|B, cryoa, Riamus, XMog

INVISION INSTALLED VIRUSES ON PC

Postby decoy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:45 am

I USED TO USE INVISION AND YEAH I USED TO THINK IT WAS GOOD, BUT I WENT TO INSTALL IT ON MY PC AND THEN MY VIRUS SCANNER PRESENTED 2 FILES AS VIRUSES!

~GLH007f.TMP AND ~GLH0080.TMP

IT WONT LET ME DELETE THEM OFF THE COMPUTER

[Edit for content]
decoy

Postby Riamus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:22 pm

You know, if you asked a question, you'd be more likely to get a useful response. Still, I'm feeling generous, so...

As is mentioned in the forum (even in a Sticky), various AV programs can incorrectly detect this script and other scripts as being viruses. In the case of Invision, it's due to the fact that it uses a DLL that someone used a long time ago as part of a virus. The DLL isn't a virus itself, yet some AV programs decided to mark it as being a virus no matter how it was used. Norton was one that had this problem.

Also, some AV scanners detect mIRC as being an bad program because can be used by viruses, so it will mark it as being bad and either delete it outright or just warn you about it.

If you download Invision from the OFFICIAL site (http://invision.lebyte.com/) and apply only the patches that are we released and link to from THIS forum, you will not get any virus. Guaranteed.

Finally, TMP files (and some others) can be in use and unable to be deleted until after you restart your computer. This is a Windows issue. Try restarting and then delete them. Or, go to the Start menu > Run > Type CMD and hit Enter. Then, let's say your TMP files are in c:\Windows\Temp\, type:

c:
cd\Windows\Temp

That will take you to the folder. If it's not on the C: drive, then change c: to the drive letter and adjust the \Windows\Temp to the correct location. Then, type:

del ~GLH007f.TMP
del ~GLH0080.TMP

That will delete those files.

If that still doesn't work, then boot into Safe Mode and you should be able to delete the files (either normally through Windows, or as shown above). Then reboot into normal mode when you are done.

In the future, I'd recommend asking a question rather that yelling and swearing. I'm not likely to spend time trying to help you if you post another post like what you did this time... it'll just be deleted.
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Riamus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Btw, you're very lucky I did reply. If I had checked the General forum before this one and saw that you posted this message 4 more times, I'd have just deleted everything and not given you any help. Consider yourself warned.
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby decoy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:57 am

decoy

Postby Riamus » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Bugs and Fixes