Random Nick changes?

Known Issues, Bugs Reports, and Work Arounds

Moderators: L|B, cryoa, Riamus, XMog

Random Nick changes?

Postby kmach1ne » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 am

At random times my Nickname will change to something I previously was using. Is there a command I have to put in/take out to stop this? Very annoying. Anything will help.
kmach1ne

Re: Random Nick changes?

Postby Riamus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 am

If you have Maintain Nick enabled in Main Settings, that may be your issue. If you disconnect and reconnect, you may also end up with an alternate nick for one reason or another. The only reason Invision would change your nick, though, is for the Maintain Nick setting. Any other changes are related to another script or mIRC itself. You'd want to try and determine why it's changing (does something happen at the same time such as a message or error?, does it happen every X minutes or at a specific time? etc). Narrowing it down with specifics like that can help to find the cause.
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Amander » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm having this problem on log in. I found a 'Preserve Nicknames' option, which isn't checked.

What's happening is that I've got my nickname set to Amander. As soon as I've loaded up my channels, it changes to Amander|Away every time I log in. Even adding a /nick Amander to my 'Do on connect' doesn't work, as it changes after the commands.

mIRC v 7.1, Invision 3.2 (July '10). Thanks!
Amander

Postby Riamus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 am

That is likely related to your Away Manager settings. Check those settings and either remove the change nick on away option or else set yourself back (you are likely set to /away right now).
You can find me at #Invision on irc.irchighway.net or #OldGames on irc.undernet.org if you need me for anything.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Amander » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I checked Away Manager, no Away nick had been set. Thanks to you though, I was re-looking through all my options to figure out if I could find the problem.

Under Main Settings -> Nickname, I'd never specifically set a nickname, I'd only set my nick in the Connect Options. So when I was going away one time (and not thinking about /away), I just changed my nick by /nick. That then set Nickname to the away nick, and it just switched it back to my 'preferred' nick anytime *I* didn't say /nick from then on. Maintain Nickname under these options is still not checked.

Thanks for the help! Glad to figure out what the heck was constantly doing that!
Amander

Postby Riamus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 am

Anytime you reconnect after being disconnected, if your main nick isn't available (this happens often if you ping out), it will use the alternate nick in mIRC's options. And if you don't enable Maintain Nick with your normal nick, then your nick won't change back once your main nick is available. Using /nick will change your mIRC options. In most cases, using Maintain Nick is recommended because most people use one nick on a given network and only use an alternate nick if their nick isn't available.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MiNdErAsR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having this same problem.

Nick maintain is set for my nick (minderasr). Under Tools: Options; Connect I set my nick (minderasr) and alternative nick (mind-gone). Saved settings too. When I re-open Invision, my nick under mirc options has changed to _minderasr and the alternate nick changed to minderasr.

I've tried shutting down Invision and changing setting in mirc.ini but nothing seems to stick. Even tried as administrator (this is a win7 machine), but still my settings won't stick.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA
MiNdErAsR

Postby Riamus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 am

Your nick can be different on different network, so if you connect to a network that has _minderasr in the maintain nick, that will change your settings. Check maintain nick on every network you're connecting to and make sure it's what you want. Beyond that, make sure you have full permissions where you have it installed (don't install it into Program Files, for example).
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MiNdErAsR » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 am

That's the thing, I only connect to one network. The _minderasr nick came from my bnc being force changed by nickserv when I wasn't connected. Maintain nick is set for minderasr, and invision is installed in c:\Invision. I'll check permissions again.

Thank you for responding.
MiNdErAsR

Postby Riamus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 am

The only thing that I can think of is that a /nick command is being used either by you (manually or a script) or forced by the network. Check your logs to see if your nick changes after putting everything back to where it was. Even if it changes and gets changed back, it could mess up mIRC's default nicks. You can "reset" your nick settings in mIRC by disabling maintain nick and pressing Apply and then enabling it and pressing Apply. You can also reset the mIRC settings by changing the nicks and pressing OK and then changing them back and pressing OK. Both options would "reset" the settings files in case of some kind of corruption.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MiNdErAsR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I ended up running Invision as administrator, then reset the nicks. This seemed to work as the next time I logged in to Invision, the nick and alt nick were as they should be.

Thanks again for the help.
MiNdErAsR

Postby Riamus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 am

If that worked, then you have Invision installed in a folder that doesn't give you full access rights.
Riamus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Bugs and Fixes